Betau Valley

Betau Valley

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Winged denizens of Bukit Telaga (2)

These days I visit Bukit Telaga a lot more than usual because :
1. it's only 18 KM from Raub, making it one of the nearest cascades within Raub
2. there is a good sampling of butterflies present here
3. I am trying to learn to photograph them...

Here's the result-
 A tiny Skipper, Seseria affinis kermana

 The Common Imperial, Cheritra freja frigga

 The Common Caerulean, Jamides alecto ageladas

 A tiny Skipper butterfly

 The Malayan Sunbeam

 The Tawny Rajah, Charaxes bernadus crepax

 A Common Grass Yellow, Eurema spp.

 I was about to leave the place when I accidently kicked on a pile of dirt and so, I had to return to the stream to wash my leg - from the distance, I noticed an unusually large black and white nymphalid flapping about the sand bank and I immediately ran back to the car to get my camera. The rewards for the patience and chance: an extremely beautiful specimen of Glorious Begum, Agatasa calydonia calydonia. It's colours really lived up to its name as the close up shows that it is almost bejewelled like a ruby-encrusted piece of jewellry that a real begum would have had...


No comments:

Post a Comment