Betau Valley

Betau Valley

Monday 21 November 2011

Fauna of Chenua during the Wet season

This year, all meteorological reports tend to point to a very wet affair, which is true compared to the past few years. Flashback to my childhood days, November-December-January had always been extremely wet and cold. I remembered wearing sweater to sleep when I was a child, and there weren't any air-conditioning in existence those days...anyhow, I went for a short trip to Chenua village accompanying my wife to her school and took advantage of the short burst of intense morning sun to go bird watching. The river has totally swollen up and everywhere was wet, so there goes the birds. However, small insects and a few birds did turn up...including the rare Hill Myna with its distinctive metallic whistle (there was a pair) and I could hear barbets and Woodpeckers eventhough I couldn't perceive them visually...

Skipper butterflies seem to be in abundance, sunning themselves in sunny spots...






Damselflies and Dragonflies too...






Lantana bushes like this one attract insects and butterflies

Looming sky...

A Hill Myna

and a Dollar Bird nearby (actually also a pair)...

some colourful insects...




No comments:

Post a Comment