Betau Valley

Betau Valley

Sunday 6 November 2011

Aquatic Cockerels

When I was younger, I used to keep fishes - spillover effect from my childhood days of catching fishes in brooks and rivers. It got so overboard that I had more than a dozen aquariums at one time, the largest measuring 8 x 3 feet ( about 2.5 x 1 M). I kept everything that I could ever possibly catch in the Malaysian rivers, among others a Kelah (Tor tambroides) weighing almost 8 kilos! That was in the 90s. Things got tiring and expensive and I gather putting a hook in the fish's mouth is bad for karma...so I sold off everything and had nothing more to do with it, until recently when my wife got interested in keeping fighting fishes for pets (Betta splendens). Well, these are definitely more manageable and they don't hog space! No oxygenation required, hardy and best of all, no water treatment. The most apt description for them is a cockerel, only a tiny aquatic one...They come in an impressive range of fin shapes and colours and what makes them enduring is their 'face off' behaviour when confronted with another male fish. Here's a few snaps of our tiny ménagerie...







No comments:

Post a Comment