Betau Valley

Betau Valley

Thursday 27 January 2011

T42

If you're in Bangsar, T42 is not the model number of the new terminator machine nor Lenovo's laptop but the name of a newly opened French inspired bistro at Bangsar Village in Kuala Lumpur. It occupies the site of the once oyster-champagne restaurant called Banquet.

T42 reads like a text message (tea for two) and so figures the crowd it is targeting I supposed. I chanced upon it lunch a week ago and this week, I was there for a tryout with some friends. The interior faintly resembles a French Bistro... had the wood panels been more mahogany than charcoal gray and the seats tan leather than weird synthetic fabric (and of course with real brass fittings), I might believe...I might just believe...but then again, we are in Malaysia where popular restaurants get recycled ever so often to cater to the mass taste...

Marble-top tables. Nice for tea but a bit cramped for dining. Like the real white roses in vases from tea tins.

The intimate interiors. There is an open space on the other side of the restaurant with a piano bar. The idea is there but I just hated the plastic plants everywhere...

The cashier and service counter. The rectangle chandelier gives the resto a nice modern touch.

Like the pastry window display. Very French...

French-door entrance. Could do better with some alternatives to the plastic plants...

The service counter...

nice...

the menu...a mix of regular 'bistro' food and 'french' food

I like the silver ware as they are actually old silver wares, probably recycled from some European (English?) restaurant...

inside the menu...french-inspired with a mix of other popular fares

I like the delicate china...

Brioche was served with meals. I found this to be unusual as this might be good for tea but definitely a no-no with savoury dishes.

First to go...puff pastry tart filled with escargots. The snails were delicate and well seasoned and the herb butter sauce went well with it.

Next was the popular French delight foie gras (goose/duck liver). The foie was a bit burned instead of being caramelized with the searing hot pan but the biggest problem was the vein inside the foie: it was not removed. Otherwise the taste was fine and the sauce needs a bit more 'zing' to it...

White bean duck cassoulet served with duck leg confit. The chef could be a bit easier on the salt. The dish was actually quite good but it was spoiled by the salty beans. The white beans are called haricots blancs in French and is widely used for winter dishes.

Shoulder rack of lamb slow cooked then char-grilled served with ratatouille and preserved lemon. The first time I had it last week, it was cooked to perfection but this time, helas, TOO SALTY. Liked the zesty lemon in the ratatouille.

Ended with salad of frisees, cress and butterhead lettuce named T forty Two salad in the menu. Like the crunch of the nuts but couldn't taste the truffle oil...glad they didn't make the error of most eateries in Malaysia (even established ones) that serve overly sour vinaigrette. Ever wonder why Malaysian diners are not big fans of salad?

No comments:

Post a Comment