Betau Valley

Betau Valley

Monday 23 August 2010

Dinner at Sage

Some time back, I read in some restaurant review that Sage is one of the top choice restaurants in Kuala Lumpur. I tried on a few occasions to book a dinner table but the place seemed to be fully booked until tonight, when I finally got a table for 2 (go figure - it's Monday night). My ex-housemate wanted to try the restaurant too...and so off to Sage we went....

The reception was quite warm and nice. We were seated in the waiting lounge while our table was being prepared and were served water and Japanese snacks -boiled and salted soya beans (Edamame or something like that). We were also given the menu to decide before the seating. I chose a standard dinner set menu at RM150 nett while my friend chose the Gourmet set menu at RM170 nett exclusive of drinks. The menu offers a glimpse into the restaurant's philosophies and I for one think that great restaurants should never offer too many choices but rather stick to seasonal offerings that reflect the change of time. Sage shows some of these promising traits...

However, the setting I find a tad too sparse and sterile (they should at least have a bouquet of fresh flowers at the Maitre d's station and a slightly more sumptuous table setting) but the portioning and willingness of the chef to cater to finicky diners like myself made up for the price of dinning here (I can be very exacting in restaurants as I often have specific demands on how the meat and veges be cooked). I even managed to chat up the chef (Daniel) and started exchanging ideas on food!


Something to nibble on while waiting for the table.


A tiny amuse-gueule before the starters. This is good to keep us occupied before the real thing.


Bread with herb dressing. Like it.


Seared foie gras served with caramelized fresh fig. Troppo bene...mi piace! This dish really made my day and IS the best foie gras yet in Malaysia.


Rack of herbed lamb served with aubergine and confit of garlic. The meat was just tender and nice but unfortunately, the garlic could use a bit more time in the oven and if the fatty parts of the lamb were shaven off just before serving, it will do the dish some justice.


Strawberry Romanoff with mascarpone cheese ice-cream. A slightly stronger presence of the cheese might be even better but it's still a nice finish to the meal.


Finish off with English tea. Personally, I would prefer French infusions like verveine and tilleul but then again, we are not in France...

Check out Sage at: http://www.sagekl.com

No comments:

Post a Comment