Betau Valley

Betau Valley

Wednesday 24 February 2010

Chambord, the royal chateau of Francis I

After having written quite a number of things about chez moi here in Malaysia, I figure it is time to space out a bit with things that I still hold on to about France. 5 years and thousands of digital photos later, there's enough to fill a book...and so I am 'time-releasing' them slowly. Not because I wanted to expressly but because I feel the need to record some of my experiences but at the same time not to choke myself with them. So whenever I feel the desire to reminisce about past experiences in France, I will dig into my photo archives and write a few lines.

So this one is about my visit to the fabulous Chambord in the spring of 2004:

This trip was actually planned by the university as part of the cultural learning experience for foreign students learning French at the language centre. We visited 3 chateaux over the span of a weekend (including the Amboise and the Villandry) but personally, this is the most breath-taking of them all-in sheer size, detail and grandeur, befitting its reputation as the chateau the its original bossman(king) Francois I.

From a distance, after some winding route through a forested area, one can already perceive the tall roof of the imposing chateau (which I mistakenly took for the top of a small hill) The chateau reveals itself at the clearing of the forest and it really can make a spectacular first impression for anyone visiting the area. I was.

As all the other tourists foreign and local, we dutifully lined up, got our ticket and were taken on a guided tour around the castle. As said, a picture's worth a thousand words...


At the entrance to the chateau. There's a guesthouse at the chateau's ground for overnight visitors as well as cafes, restaurants and souvenirs shops. This is a HUGE piece of real estate.


An avenue of lime trees (called tilleul in French) leading to the principal entrance of the chateau. The trees have yet to sprout any leaves as it was still very early in spring.


Details of the spiralling stairwell inside the chateau. Minus the tapestries, royal portraits and a few pieces of furnitures, the chateau is practically empty and can be very cold. Ladies of the palace in those days were 'encouraged' to wear thick silk with the induced cold climate (I don't remember who told me this).


Huge portraits of past royals.


The famous spiral staircase designed by non other than Leonardo da Vinci. He was a special guest of Francis I and he was invited to spent his golden years in France at the time when his reputation was embattled in Italy. Ever wonder why the French had the most fabulous Italian treasure?


One can only aspire to have a portrait of this grandeur, even if one can paint...


Another royal, Henry III


Part of the moat surrounding the expansive chateau which flows out to a canal


Inner courtyard of the chateau


The flamboyant Rennaisance styled roof of the chateau.


Tracing the perimeter of the building to the open field behind the chateau.


Who can resist an opportunity for a photo?


The chateau from the end of the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment