Betau Valley

Betau Valley

Monday 18 January 2010

Blast from the distant past

1993 Pos Buntu, Raub

Thanks to technology, photos taken 16 years ago remain accessible, even improved. Back in 1993, Pos Buntu was newly opened to the outside world via a quiet tarmac road. Before that, one had to practically slosh through thick mud and uneven terrain to get there (on motorbikes or 4WD).

One sunny midday, on the way out from the small Orang Asli village (Semai tribe), going up a slope and then down, I was totally surprised by what awaited me...I thought I was the lucky/unlucky witness to the Malaysian Mawas (or Sasquatch) but heck, I was actually totally confused by the vision of the back of a wild boar on the back of a barefooted Orang Asli - on the tarmac in broad daylight! Awe-struck for a moment but quickly regained my composure, I approached the man and asked if I could take a few photos...


Could this be the origin of the word "piggy-back"?


The hunted boar was cushioned on the back of this man with blades of bamboo leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment