Betau Valley

Betau Valley

Sunday 12 July 2009

Random Art at the Farmers' Market - Malaysia 1

When I was a student in France, I picked up the habit of scouring the farmers' market every weekend for food that I've never tasted before, but also for the changing displays that inherently follow the seasons.

Back home, I continue the habit of wandering around farmers' market for special moments that merit a shot. I don't use any professional tools, just discreetly (with permission of course) with my faithful Nikon Coolpix. What interests me is the unusual random symmetry found in the local displays in colourful plastic plates and they remind me of the art-deco, post-modernism take on furnitures and paintings of the sixties and seventies. If we don't look at the fact that these displays are foodstuff, they can actually come off as abstract art pieces! My malayan photos are exclusively taken from the Raub sunday market.


The refreshingly light mint-green of the belimbing asam is beautifully off-set by the contrasting orange of the common plastic plates as well as the ligth green and blue ones.


A myriad of local bananas against a vivid blue canvas, who can ask for more?


Symphony in white: white eggplants over white background


Ikan pelaling in plates of pale pastels - unobserved beauty


Swirls of jasmine flowers in vivid pink plastics


Rosy coloured fishes off-set by the wet transparent plastic - accidental or untamed esthetics?


The vibrant hues of the mencuku fruits ( a type of mangosteen) is beautifully contrasted with the bright pastel plastic plates, set-off by the gray of the tarmac and Yes! the newspaper. Don't banal things can turn up being splendid if only we give them a chance...

1 comment:

  1. love all these pix la monsieur... nice!!

    ReplyDelete